What is Covid-19?1
Our world is currently responding to an infectious respiratory pandemic rapidly spreading from person to person by the SARS-CoV-2 virus which causes the disease known as Covid-19. Various parts of the United States are experiencing different levels of Covid-19 activity, however, all 50 states have CDC-reported cases of Covid-19.
What are symptoms of Covid-19?2
People who contracted the virus have reported symptoms ranging from mild to severe. There are even cases of Covid-19 where an individual who tested positive did not have any symptoms. Symptoms of Covid-19 can appear any time from 2-14 days after exposure. These symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
Who is at risk?3
Everyone is at risk for contracting Covid-19, but some are at higher risk than others:
- People 65 years and older
- People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
- People of all ages with serious underlying medical conditions
How to prevent the spread?4
Covid-19 can be spread from respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. A person could also become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it, and then by touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
Everyone must do their part in order to help flatten the curve and decrease the spread of Covid-19. Here are ways to prevent the spread:
- Wear a cloth face covering in public to avoid spreading Covid-19 to others in case you are infected but do not have symptoms.
- Stay home as much as possible and avoid close contact with others.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis.
- Practice social distancing
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others when in public settings.
- Get deliveries and takeout, and limit in-person contact as much as possible.